Gloria is far from being grown up at this point but there are moments when I think about who she will be 5, 10, 15 or 20 years from now.
A few nights ago, our little GEM woke up crying out. She usually sleeps so well so when she wakes like this, we know something is wrong. Who knows what woke her from her sound sleep, a bad dream, her teeth, growing pains...she can't tell us so we do our best to comfort her and get her back to bed. So I took her in my arms and sat with her in the rocking chair for a little while. She whimpered and sniffled, her cheeks wet from tears. I cradled her in my arms and she nestled right up against me. She put her thumb in her mouth and laid so quietly. She looked at me for a little bit, then closed her eyes only to open them again to check that I was still there.
While I sat there looking at GEM, I thought to myself, God I love being her mom! I loved the moment we were in! However, I couldn't help but think about how much I would miss this. Time passes so quickly and the day will come when she doesn't want to curl up with her mommy because she is too cool or thinks she is too old. But then I snapped myself out of the "Oh, I'll miss this" state of mind to "Oh, this is so nice!"
I try not to think too much about what the future will be like and how much I'll miss this or that. I don't want to rush any of the time I have with her. I treasure each cuddle, kiss or giggle. I do look forward to the woman she will be some day but for now, I'm enjoying the baby she is today:)

No comments:
Post a Comment