Sunday, July 08, 2007

A Big Bang!

This week has been filled with Independence Day celebrations. Tom had the 4th of July off so we were able to spend the holiday with my family for lunch and then in the evening we spent time with Tom's family. It is so weird having the holiday smack dab in the middle of the week. It throws me all off!

Tom and I headed over to Dave and Irene's for dinner on Friday to celebrate Davie's birthday. Irene pulled out all the stops...extra large shrimp, veggie platter, corn on the cob, burgers, cake and ice cream...all so good! Unfortunately, Dave wasn't feeling his best so he didn't even get to indulge in all the goodies. Hopefully he was feeling better on Saturday so he could catch up on what he missed out on. He still enjoyed opening presents though...never too sick for that! :) He was also able to enjoy some golf earlier in the day so not all was lost. Dave and Tom, as well as a few others, went to the Crumpin Fox Golf Club in Bernardston. This was a real treat for them because Crumpin is a high end golf course...very nice! From what I was told they had a great time...it was a little on the warm side but they still had a great time! Tom says he donated quite a few balls to the course...I guess he wanted to leave them a few souvenirs to remember him by. :)

Saturday I went to a few more BBQ's in celebration of the 4th. My first stop was Nancy's, our long-time family friend who has a 4th of July BBQ every year. Nancy used to babysit me and my brothers when we were kids. As a matter of fact, I used to babysit all of her kids too! It actually freaked me out a bit when the eldest boy, who is in high school now, introduced me to his girlfriend. "This is Ruthie," he says, "she used to be my babysitter"...yikes! I started to have a slight panic attack. I was starting to feel a bit old!

Okay, I know...shut up right?! What the heck though...there are these certain moments where everything starts to make you think about your age. I could go on about this particular topic but I think I will save it for another post. Just sympathize with me, for the time being, about the horror of having the very kid whose diaper you used to change introduce you to his girlfriend! I am totally freaked out about this and can't imagine what I will go through when my very own children grow up!

Sorry about that slight digression. Anyway, after Nancy's BBQ I headed to a second one where Liz, Corey, Heather, Troy and many other friends were spending the day. It has been a tradition among my friends to get together to celebrate the 4th for 10 or so years. Love those traditions! I even had a chance to catch up with some old friends that I hadn't seen in quite some time.

After much food and socializing, the event we had all been waiting for was about to start...the fireworks!! It was amazing to see a crowd of people become silent as the display started. There is something about fireworks and the way they can mesmerize you. It is such a magical thing...I don't care how old you are! While I watched, I thought about what we were celebrating and how important it is for us to remember the people who were a part of making our Nation what it is today. I was feeling pretty patriotic. Don't worry, I won't go into a song or anything. I just had a moment to myself while I watched, hypnotized by the lights. I hoped that other people were thinking the same thing either while they watched the fireworks or sometime during the festivities. I think sometimes the true reason we celebrate gets hidden behind all the flashy decorations and mountains of food.

It was a great weekend overall. On Sunday...we rested. Tom was sick and I was just pooped from the weekend. Monday, I have hit the ground running. Let's just hope I don't run right through this next weekend before I stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment