Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Life is Like a Facial?

Since I have this week off before I start my new job, I decided to take some time for myself - hence the more frequent blogging:) I had a spa gift certificate that Tom gave me back in 2005 that I hadn't used yet. I thought it was about time I put it to use, so I scheduled a facial.

I have had a facial before and new I was in for a treat. The technician began the soothing steps of the facial, cleansing my skin, massaging my face, music in the background...all the ingredients for complete relaxation.

So why wasn't I relaxed? My shoulders were like rocks! I realized this after my mind had wondered to all the tasks I needed to accomplish this week, people I need to call, appointments I have to make, errands to run, house stuff to take care of...my mind was littered with all the "to do's" on my mental checklist. I had to snap myself out of it! I was even more tense than I was before I came in!

I wasn't really there having a facial, I was somewhere else. Geese, I thought, this wasn't exactly what I had in mind for "me" time! Once I became aware of my state of mind, I began to focus on the here and now of the facial. The smell of the lotion, the sound of the small water fountain in the room, the heat of the face cloth, the massage, etc. FINALLY, I was in complete relaxation mode. I let it all go, all the stress and tension. Ah...what a relief!

Sort of a nice way to think in general, isn't it? Focus on the here and now. Enjoy the "facial," or whatever your analogy might be, and open yourself up to truly enjoy the present moment. =)

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment