Why is it I have such a hard time letting go? I worked my last shift at the hospital on Tuesday and although I am relieved to be done, I am very sad too.
I started working at FMC while I was going to GCC in 1998...I was 20 years old. It worked out well during those years, my boss was willing to work around my schedule and the pay there was much better than minimum wage. I continued to work after I finished up at GCC and while I was attending UMass. For some reason, after I graduated in 2003, I stayed.
For a while I would work one shift a week, sometimes more. Even with my full time job at The Holbek Group, I still worked at least once a week. It came in handy when we were saving money to pay for our wedding. Today, the money would still go towards things that we needed. The money was useful, it always is.
Every time I thought about quitting I thought about how sad it would be if I left. Of course I would be sad but somehow I felt as though I would be loosing so much of my past. Nine years is a long time and a lot of memories! I have met some pretty awesome people over the years. I've also experienced many wonderful events and, at the same time, some horrible ones too. So much happens at a hospital. Life ends and begins all in the same building.
I learned so much from working at the hospital. My job was not glamorous by any means. I was a housekeeper...I cleaned toilets and many, many other things. I won't gross you with details but I will say this, if you have seen Grey's Anatomy or E.R. you might have an understanding of some of the things I've had to clean up after. It's a lot of work and I think it has kept me humble. I respect and appreciative the people who continue to do it everyday full time. I have gained many valuable work and life ethics from this job.
I finally decided to quit because I know I need to move on. I should focus on my new job at Wondertime and put my energy into doing the best I can there rather than juggle another job. This chapter of my life is over now. I have to say that I'm not sad to know that I have cleaned my last toilet, mopped my last floor, or made my last bed! However, I am sad to think that this part of my life is a thing of the past. I think I was trying to hang onto it for the sake of clinging to my youth or something cheesy like that. Pathetic I know.
not pathetic at all!! :) I worked at a general store back home for about 8 years seasonally (summers, christmases, etc...) and even though i haven't worked there for 5 years, I was really sad recently when the last person I still knew that worked there was leaving! it's 3,000 miles away and I'm not even there, yet it made me sad that I could not relive the memories when I go home! So i understand, in a different sort of way... :)
ReplyDelete