I love the holidays...and Thanksgiving is just the beginning of the holiday season. For us, it was a fabulous start! We enjoyed celebrating the long weekend with family and friends. We did manage to fill a good deal of our time working on the house over the long weekend...but ultimately our most valued time was spent with our loved ones.
On Thanksgiving day we headed over to the McDonald household for a fabulous meal made lovingly by Irene. It was nice this year that we were able to focus on one household for the holiday. Since we had Thanksgiving early at my parent's house, it freed up some time we could spend together at my in-laws. We had a wonderful meal and enjoyed our time together. It was just the four of us since Jon and Michelle spent Thanksgiving in Minnesota. We missed having them with us for dinner but look forward to their visit during Christmas. We will have some serious holiday celebrating to catch up on!
So, as usual, Tom had to scurry off to work after our big meal. I spent the later part of the afternoon working on house projects. As I mentioned in a previous post, Tom and I are doing the finish work (staining and painting) for the closets. Well, this was a test for me. I have never stained anything before and this was certainly a learning process. I discovered this during my staining debut...I don't care for it! For some reason I thought it would be very similar to painting, and I enjoy painting! However, staining is messy and runny and it smells awful! But, by the end, I think I got pretty good at it. Would I do it again? Probably. It's cheaper to do it ourselves than to pay someone else to do it.
After my long day of staining Thursday, I headed off to my parent's house for dinner that evening. It wasn't a Thanksgiving meal, it was just a nice get together where we enjoyed tacos for dinner. We also got together to celebrate my brother Peter's upcoming birthday November 29th. It was a relaxing evening with the family and the perfect way to end the holiday.
Friday morning came around and while most people were making a bee-line for the stores, Tom and I were at home working on our house projects. We actually spent most of the morning reconfiguring our livingroom to make room for our Christmas tree. We are pretty limited on space so every year we have to do some switching around in order to fit the tree in. It keeps things cozy I guess:) By the time we were finished with that, Tom had to head off to work and I spent the rest of the evening staining...again! Well, up until bowling time that is.
Saturday was filled with some work, some play and for me, some shopping! Tom helped get some work done around the house and afterwards he headed to the woods with Dave to do some target shooting. Shotgun season is here and guess where Tom and Dave will be this week? Hunting!! Tom took the whole week off to hang out in the woods, in the COLD, in hopes that THIS YEAR will be his year that he will get his deer! We all have our fingers crossed for you Tom!! :)
After I finished MORE staining at the house on Saturday, I headed to the stores. I needed to do some serious Christmas shopping! My destination was downtown Greenfield. I didn't get as much of our Christmas shopping done as I would have liked but it was a beautiful day to be downtown and I did find some great gifts. It was nice to get out of the house too!
After a long day of work and shopping, Tom and I headed down to Springfield for the Falcons vs. Sharks hockey game. There were about twelve of us all together who went. The night was filled with a few bumps in the road. We all met up at Champions Sports Bar and Grill for dinner before the game and we ended up having to wait an hour for our food. This wouldn't have been a huge problem except it caused us to miss the first quarter of the game. Then, when we got to the game, the Falcons were winning but in the end, they lost! A few small problems but all in all, everyone had a great time!
Finally we come to Sunday, the last day of our long weekend. What happened? It all flew by so fast! Well, we sort of ended the weekend the way it started...working on house projects:) We spent most of the afternoon painting the bedroom. The closets are all painted and the trim is stained...thank goodness that is all done! Now...we are painting the bedroom. We had to prime the bedroom first since the existing color was pretty dark and we also had a lot of drywall to prime anyway. It took us most of the afternoon to get it all done. I was also very proud of Tom because he installed the light and lightswitch for the closet without burning the house down:) This was the final step in completing our closet. All he had to do was connect the wiring to the switch and the light but he did a good job since it all works! He also had a little guidance from Troy who had installed all the electrical work during the closet construction a few weeks back. We are very grateful to Troy for all of his help during this project. He does fabulous work and he has been a great resource of information! We are really happy with how everything is coming together. It has been a long road but everything is almost done!!!
Even though we still had a bit more work to do, Troy and Heather had invited us over to watch the Patriots play so we decided it would be really nice to end the day on that note. We had a nice time visiting with them while watching the game. We didn't get to see how it ended since Tom had to meet up with his dad but what we did see of it was pretty good.
Although the holiday weekend went by in the blink of an eye, we are so grateful for the time we did have with famiy and friends. We are also thankful for the many things God has blessed us with this year. We hope that however you spent your Thanksgiving holiday, that it was filled with much love and many blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment